Saturday, February 04, 2006

Pre-Training Thursday, February 2, 2006

Tonight we went to the Running Revolution for shoes & gear and for running tips. Heidi gave the presentation and here is what I walked away.

1. Shoes are the most important piece of equipment
2. Being female means that a good sports bra is second. I got to learn that lesson the hard way, in January when I was trying to pre-train.

There is this thing called a glide-stick, which I will eventually need to purchase because Heidi informed that us that we will chaff in areas-arms, thighs, and other places, though I am not sure I want to know where.

I will need to buy a little blinky light for when I run and a little light to light my way. The first one goes on my shirt, water belt, pants or something and the second goes on my head.

I will also need a water belt, which I will use on our longer runs once we start, and eventually fill with electrolyte infused drinks - glad I like Gatorade. This will keep me going in addition to the carbohydrate gels, which sound like fun. On the other hand, I can just get the gels, with electrolytes, but these are a must try on the longer runs before marathons and long runs.

Dehydration and the thing right after it, look a lot alike, but the latter one can kill you. Wow, that's a happy note. That's why we have to drink electrolytes every 45 minutes, was that it, or was it water. I really needed to take notes during this. Oops, my excuse is that it was dark.

There was a table set up with a variety of electrolyte drinks. They warned us that we might not like some of them and to be careful of the gag reflex. Yeah, drink #4, not my friend, instant gag reflex. Ew, ew, ew. I think that was actually harsher than a shot of vodka, guess I didn't like that one much and will not be filling my water bottle with that one.

So this is a little more expensive and a little more physically demanding than I imagined, but it's better that way now I can look forward to the run and all the little shopping trips to get me ready.

Fundraising Page:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/JenDorsa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home