Tuesday, February 07, 2006

First Run - Saturday, February 4, 2006

I'm not sure if it was excitement for the first run, or worry that I wouldn't wake up in time to make it, but I had difficulty getting to sleep. I behaved the night before at a networking event, no drinking and I left early to get to bed at 9:30. Oh well. It's raining when I leave my place, wow I should have bought a rain slicker on Tuesday.

I made it to the park at 7:30 am after a great oatmeal breakfast, which I think will get old quick. Nervousness subsided and I realized I was excited to be there for so many reasons: my first run-putting my fitness or lack thereof to the test, making a difference, and getting to see what TNT is all about. After check-in, to make sure they don't lose us on the trail, I talked with a couple of my teammates and we decided on a run-walk. Being me, I suggest we try for the 6 mile option and it seems that I have complete buy-in until we finish our group stretch and they ask for a raise of hands for the 6-mile group. I raise mine and go to the start line, and find myself with my mentor and one of my teammates, in addition to the hard-core runners.

I think I'm crazy, but our motto is we can always turn back. We go for a 6-1 run-walk, which is running for 6 minutes then walking for 1 minute over and over until you reach the end. The 6-1 is what my mentor Helen runs, and she has the really cool little watch that tells you what you're supposed to be doing. The great thing about the first runs is commitment, if you decide you're running 6 miles you run to the 3 mile mark and run back. There are chalk marks on the trail, indicating the mile and half mile markers in addition to the water stops at mile 1.25 and mile 2.75. Mentally I've committed to this and in my infinite wisdom, keep going for all 6, I've raised my hand and I'm not quitting. Plus I have to beat my girlfriends. Getting to the first water stop is easy, mile marker 2, not too bad, mile marker 2.5 I'm still good, and then we get to the 3 mile marker, I'm feeling good but not too sure I can run it back all the way maybe another mile or two and I'm done. I'm able to keep at the 6-1 pace for 4-4.5 miles and then have to take a 2 minute walk, my knees and ankles are hurting and then I keep running. We run past the 1.25 mile marker, no water, want to finish running, when I first saw them I wondered if I'd be able to bribe them to drive me back to the start/finish line. Run into the coaches ahead- Tim, John, and Dave- and talk to Tim about my shoes, my inner knees are hurting so I need more shoe support. We see the quarter-mile mark, and run to the finish, amazing feeling not only to finish the longest distance I've gone on, but even more so to have everyone cheering as you finish.

Food and drinks are out, the only thing I can think is how hungry I am and how badly I need to stretch. Got to love multi-tasking. Helen and I had talked about an ice-bath because of the distance I covered, but I decide to go to breakfast. I eat more than I normally do and when I get home I pass out for a 30 minute nap.

Waking up, my legs hate me, I have re-discovered several major muscles and tendons that I forgot could hurt. Nevertheless, I go dancing later that night for Elaine's birthday and am "gimpy", eventually I feel a little better, but know tomorrow is going to be worse.

Fundraising Page:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/JenDorsa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home