Tuesday, February 07, 2006

First Buddy Run - Tuesday, February 7, 2006 at Los Gatos High School

Sunday was definitely painful- the muscles in my legs were revolting and if I sat for any period of time getting up took all of my strength. Monday wasn't much better, so I went for a light 30 minute cycle at the gym, which really paid off as I was feeling much better this morning.

Shoes - fixed and now no more excuses for not running as far as I should.

We have a lot of Mentors and PR at the run - Colleen, Allie, Caitlin, Chris, Rick, Jen S., and Jay. Feeling extra confident I'm running 4 miles today and we break into our running teams by distance. Melanie and I run with Allie, Caitlin, and Jay, who all have the head lights to light our way as we run the Los Gatos Trails. When we start running, I discover I'm the only novice runner in the group and don't want to hold the team back - we're running straight through no run-walk this time. Oh yes, we can walk if I need it, but pushing myself to see what I can really do sounds better, I think. As we run, Allie and Caitlin point out the mile markers-railroad tracks 1/2 mile and bathrooms mile 2, what wait a second, I just ran 2 miles straight. What was our time? 22 minutes. We turn around and head back, they point out the 3 mile marker on our way in, what was it? I'm not sure, the muscles above my ankles feel a little weak, breathing is fine, not sure why, but it is. At mile 3.25 I walk and Jay hangs back with me, I feel like a quitter, but as I start to run again, my ankles just aren't feeling it. I'm still proud of my 3.25 mile run straight through, and do little runs here and there on the way back, but walking seems to be overtaking me. I've now learned that my next short distance will have to be a complete run because at that point, as the coaches said, it's way too hard to try and run-walk after a straight run.

Fundraising Page:
http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/JenDorsa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home