Sunday, March 12, 2006

9-Mile Nisene Marks Park Run (& week's recap) 3-11-06

Amazingly beautiful and freezing cold, is the perfect description for our 8 a.m. Saturday run at Nisene Marks Redwood Park in Aptos. The drive from Los Gatos had plenty of snow as we watched the temperature drop from 46 to 31 degrees Fahrenheit, it was a little warmer at the park 36. The Santa Cruz Mountains were covered in snow as was the ground around the freeway, it wasn't a lot, but it was enough to make for a memorable run. The ground was iced over at the beginning of the run, but the trees kept most of the trail ice/snow free. The bridges were a little more hazardous, covered in ice , which reminded me of a dangerous version of a slip-and-slide as I was a little worried about slipping when we ran across 2 of these bridges. I ran with Patrick, a mentor, and completed a 4:1 run-walk for 9-miles. The course was more difficult than previous courses with a continual incline, but taking a little slower pace to ease into a full run-walk worked very well as I felt great at the end of the run. Vince came looking for us, as we were the only group to go 9 miles (the cap was at 8) and he was worried about my foot. Patrick told Vince (my mentor) that it's their job as mentors to push us. Vince completely disagreed in my case, and rightfully so, as he knows that I'll push myself and don't need the encouragement, but more the reminders to take it easy. That's the great part about my friends and mentors, they're all on the same page - Jen take it easy. I do feel great and have kept the pace down, hopefully I'll be back to a 6-1 on Saturday and I am still being careful.

Thursday - Rain Rain Go Away - 3-9-06
Before the Saturday run was the storm from Thursday. It was a cold bitter night, thank the wind chill for that, and we were running the track. A light sprinkle was followed with what seemed like a torrential downpour, did I mention it was cold? Now, one of the great parts about running in the cold is that it's hard in the beginning, but once you've been running for awhile it generally feels better. And when it's that cold, you're ok unless you stop, which I did and though my muscles were warm my legs were icy to the touch. Add a lot of rain to that, and you now weight 5-10 pounds more and feel like a drowned rat. As the run ends, I've never been happier to be done, but wait there are announcements, it's still raining and cold--not the best weather to stretch. We ran 2-3 miles, no big deal, but changing into dry clothes has never been so comforting.

Tuesday Buddy Run - I think I overdid it... 3-7-06
I tried to do a 6-1 with Helen, my other mentor, but the tendons in my ankle kept cramping off and on so I ended up walking more than I wanted... let's say that this week's 6-1 might not happen. I met Joy, and she was having issues too, so Helen kept going and we turned around at the 2.5 mile mark. We were running in the dark, as neither of us had purchased a head-lamp yet. That was funny if nothing else, as it became harder and harder to see anything in the pitch black night. Thankfully, there weren't any holes or puddles in the trail, but I almost ran into a pole. That would make for a great headline email - Marathon Trainee vs. Pole - Pole wins with TKO! By the end of the run, my ankle felt mostly better, and icing it was a smart decision--after that I couldn't feel a thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home