Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Half Way to a Marathon - 14.5 Mile run 4-1-06

The run this Saturday was at Natural Bridges in Santa Cruz and despite the forecast of rain, it was a beautiful and mild day. It was also a big day of firsts-running Wave 3, running with Emily and Christine, and running 14 miles. The trail started along a dirt trail for the first 4 miles, which are never fun as we warm up, but the old ranch homes and countryside were amazing. Not to mention, having several teammates singing at the top of their lungs was a riot and kept us smiling the entire time. Doubling back we then hit the second part of the run - the 10-mile stretch - the beach trail then boardwalk and there really is nothing better than a beautiful view and cool breeze when running. The hazards, on the other hand, are not as much fun as our run took us through main streets dodging cars and being honked at (I'm not sure why it happened to the runners that were ahead of us). The 5-mile mark, was the wharf, and then it was time to turn around and head back. I felt great and ready for the last 5 miles of the run, which went great until we were 2 miles out. My Achilles tendon in my left foot started cramping on the way back and I'd stop when needed and tried to stretch it out, but it would inevitably cramp more again. The last mile, I was praying it wouldn't snap, it seized up several times and I couldn't put my weight on it for a couple steps. Eventually, I found a pace that seemed to make it almost work and ran the last part in-not stopping or walking, as these seemed to make it worse.

That run, beautiful as it was, is one of the hardest runs on the body as most of it was on the sidewalk. Talking with the mentors and a coach, this is one of the most hated runs because it causes so many issues-the list from Saturday was pretty long with complaints (wow that makes me feel better, I thought I’d just have some new pain to complain about after each long run). Also, we ran 14.5 instead of 14 miles, and I really could have cut that last half out.

Hellyer Park 12-Mile Run 3-25-06
I'm bored, I'm bored, I'm really really BORED. Ok, so I'm in Wave 1 and our run starts at 7:20 am and in no time I'm running by myself. My foot is mostly better, and I'm starting to run at my marathon speed and I'm running alone because I'm too fast for this wave. I'm hoping to run into other people, but they're 10-20 minutes behind as they stagger the runs. My solution, a nice long bathroom break a third of the way into it. This doesn't work so well as there aren't a whole lot of people around. Finally, making it to the water station and there are a good amount of people around so I start running with a couple other people. I ended up running the last half with Jessica at her pace, which isn't too bad as I can keep up comfortably and we talk part of the way in, but it makes it so much easier to have someone to run with, even when nothing is said.

For more information or to donate go to http://www.active.com/donate/tntsvmb/JenDorsa

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home